Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Holiday finish

At the end of June I had a weeks holiday in sunny Suffolk. Being a good quilter I took my machine and a cople of projects just in case we had a rainy day.

Well the rain came and the machine came out to play. I finally finished this flimsy top Tahdah!

Now to decide on the quilting which is always something I find hard to do.

We were staying near lovely Southwold and managed two glorious days on the beach. The pier there is wonderful and the beach huts are charming.

Last weekend saw some jam making. I spent the Saturday morning picking pounds of raspberries. The smell in my car as I was driving home was fantastic.

 Mum and I spent the afternoon cooking up jars and jars of scrummy jam and on Sunday we enjoyed a homemade cream tea just to check that it was all ok.

In between all the cooking and sewing I have been enjoying my garden. The great weather during June has made my summer pots come on a treat.



Thursday, 26 May 2011

I have been meaning to put these pictures up for a while but time has got away from me again.
They are of three quilts I have completed this year (a 100% improvement over my completion rate for 2010 ;o))
The first one is Sarah's Cabin In The Stars. Made for a friend it is my first jelly roll quilt from a pattern in Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.
I let Sarah loose in my fabric stash to get a feel for the colours she liked and then picked up the jelly roll and the rest of the fabric at the Festival of Quilts last year. The backing was a bargin buy from the Fabric Guild in Leicester.
The next quilt I finished was a commissoned peice for the son of a friend. I was working my notice at my former employer and needed somthing to keep me busy so when I was asked to make this quilt I jumped at it and designed it from scratch.
The fabric line is 'Bugs Life' - lovely cheery brights just great for a little boy and the backing was another bargin buy, this time from Dohertys.
The final quilt is one I started over ten years ago. It lingered in my ufo pile because I didn't like the design I had chosen to quilt the boarders with and couldn't think what else to do. Then after I had completed the other two I bit the bullet and unpicked what I had done and redid it with a lovely stitch on my machine.
The pattern is called fat quarters for someone special and all the fabric came from my stash. There must be some vintage designs in there.
I still haven't got to the bottom of the ufo pile though and hope to get another top completed this year along with some smaller projects.